Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Dipping Chocolate

I've been using this recipe for years -- since high school, I think.  It doesn't get truly hard once it hardens, so you don't end up with flakes of it cracking off when you take a bite of whatever you dipped in this.  Last summer, I dipped strawberries and cherries in this for a celebration we had when my nephew was baptized.  I should have made twice as many.  Fabulous!  I've also transformed a humble chocolate-chip cookie into ambrosia by dipping half-way in this.  Dried apricots, pretzels, candy canes -- they all work!

Dipping Chocolate

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 1.55-oz Hershey's bars -- broken into pieces
1 Tbsp shortening

In top of double boiler, stir together chocolate chips, chocolate bar pieces, and shortening. Place over hot, not boiling, water, stirring occasionally, until chips and chocolate are melted. Remove top of double boiler; set aside until chocolate cools to lukewarm.

Dips about 5 dozen cookies half-way.

No comments:

Post a Comment