Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Borshch

Cowboy lived in Ukraine when he was a teen, and the first time I ever had borshch was when I visited his family there one Christmas.  I was convinced it had tomatoes in it -- oops!  We made this recipe for the first time the spring before we got married, while visiting his brother for Easter.  So borshch makes me think of holidays :-)  I think we got this recipe from Cowboy's mom's Betty Crocker cookbook, but I don't remember for sure anymore.

Borshch

1 lb. Pork Sausage
2 cans Beets -- julienne and reserve juice
3 cups Cabbage -- shredded
1/2  cup Onion -- minced
1/2  tsp. Pepper
2 tsp. Sugar
2 tsp. Lemon juice
2 1/2  cups Beef bouillon

 GARNISHES: sour cream, chopped green onions

Heat beef broth, beets and liquid, cabbage, onion, pepper, and sugar to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.  Add a dollop of sour cream to each serving and sprinkle with green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment