Friday, January 23, 2015

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Balls of Energy

I got this recipe here, but I changed a couple of things to make it easier and fit better with ingredients I usually have on hand.  

I made these today, and oh my goodness, they are so tasty!  Warning:  they are really filling!  I kinda sorta ate three of them over the course of rolling them up, and now I feel horribly full.  Don't do that.

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Balls of Energy

1 cup old-fashioned oats
2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Thoroughly mix everything in a medium bowl. Chill in the refrigerator for at least half an hour, until it's easy to mold into a ball without sticking to your fingers or falling apart. Roll into balls of whatever size you would like, and flatten them a little between your palms if you want them to be more cookie-shaped and easier for little mouths to bite into.  Store in an airtight container in the fridge -- they should keep for up to a week. Makes about 20.

2 comments:

  1. These are good! They remind me of the peanut butter/honey/oatmeal balls my brothers and I would make as kids. I really enjoy the addition of cocoa powder. I made them today with out the coconut, since we didn't have any. They are still good, but the coconut is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the kids asked me to make these for them again recently. They're so nice and chewy and crunchy -- love their texture.

      Delete