Sunday, December 7, 2014

Chocolate Pudding Fudge

I love fudge.  I love making fudge.  And this is my absolute favorite fudge recipe.  When I was pregnant with my second child during the Christmas season, I ate two batches of this by myself over the course of three weeks.

I got this from a recipe book put out by the Jell-o company, years ago.

Chocolate Pudding Fudge

1 pkg (8 squares) semi-sweet baking chocolate -- divided
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) -- divided
1/3 cup water
1 pkg (4-servng) instant chocolate pudding mix
3 cups powdered sugar

Microwave 4 of the chocolate squares, 6 Tbsp of butter, and the water in large (microwavable!) bowl on high for 2 mins or until the butter is melted.  Stir. Add the pudding mix and stir until well blended. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, stirring until well blended after each addition. Press into afoil-lined 9-inch-square pan. Microwave the remaining 4 chocolate squares and 2 Tbsp butter in a medium (microwavable!) bowl on high for 1 1/2 min or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Spread over pudding mixture. Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until firm. Cut into 36-48 pieces, depending on how generous you're feeling.

6 comments:

  1. If anyone wants to make half a batch it is
    4 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate -- divided
    1/4 cup butter (4 tbsp) -- divided
    2 tbsp + 2 tsp water
    3/8 cup instant chocolate pudding mix
    1.5 cups powdered sugar

    for if you know you're going to eat the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool! What did you think of it?

      I actually tried a new fudge recipe this week that is staggeringly easy. Not as tasty as this, but it's literally a dump-and-stir, no measuring needed except for the butter. I'll try to post it soon.

      Delete
    2. I loved the little melty layer on top, but for whatever reason I didn't find it worth the calories (it's 1620 for a half batch). If I could have restricted myself to a few pieces per meal it would have been great, but it didn't feel good to binge on. So I gave the other half pan away to my apartment manager, everybody wins.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, fudge is not a health food. That's why I only make it if I can take it to a potluck or party. A couple of pieces aren't so bad for you, but a whole batch? Not so much.

      So yay for gifting some to your apt. manager! Share the calories! :-D

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I just ate some crumbs off the pan and got the feeling that I made a terrible mistake -- I need to let this fudge age for a day and then try it. What would happen if you didn't keep it in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww :-( Make it again and take it to Banana's to share?

      If you don't keep it in the fridge, it will get soft. It will leave big chocolate smears on your fingers and be hard to get out of the pan. Eventually, the butter in it will make it go rancid, but that would probably take several days.

      Delete